Potters Get Dramatic Win Against Monarchs

21-20 was the final score at Patterson Field. The Potters got the early 7-0 lead then saw John Marshall respond but missed the extra point to make it 7-6. Later in the half the Potters had a great time consuming drive that ended with a TD w/ 10 seconds left for the 14-6 halftime lead. The Monarchs got a score latish in the 3rd quarter but failed on a 2 point attempt to leave the score at 14-12.

That rather mundane narrative picked up a bit the final few minutes of the game. John Marshall had a drive with about 6 minutes left stall inside the 20 on a turnover on downs. East Liverpool then picked up a few first downs and forced JM to use 2 of their timeouts but a couple penalties compelled a pooch punt with about 3 minutes left. And it was a beauty pinning JM at their own 2 yard line. The Monarchs used 4 plays, a lot of clock, and their remaining timeout just to pick up the initial first down around the 15 yard line. The the Potters committed an inexplicable blunder and let a JM receiver get behind everyone on a sideline go route, the JM qb threw about his only perfect pass of the night, and 85 yards later JM had the lead with 1:10 remaining in the game. They went for 2 points and converted to make it 20-14. A squib kick was quickly tackled by JM giving the Potters the ball at their own 32 with 1:07 and 2 timeouts. A sideline run by the quarterback Tompkins got a 1st down out of bounds. A bubble screen to Preston Foster got another first down out of bounds with :55 left. The exact same play was going to work again but for a dubious holding call. A running play gave 2nd & 1 and the Potters called a timeout, then the Potters threw a backward pass on the next play and then a flanker pass about 20 yards downfield. It was incomplete but drew a pass interference call putting the ball at the 13 yard line. Tompkins rolled left which was contained but broke backside contain on the right side and was able to manuever through the JM secondary for the touchdown with :16 seconds left. The Potters used their last timeout to make sure everyone was settled for the extra point which was converted. JM downed a squib kick, had a receiver drop an out route at midfield, then threw an intercept on the last play to end the game.

With the win the Potters improve to 3-4 and will entertain Wheeling Park next Friday night.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: